Purchase my books here!

• Milk supply nearly gone – 8.5 mo, HELP!

Posted by Megan Bachman on April 17, 2023 at 12:48 pm

I have an 8.5 mo and she’s been exclusively breastfed since birth and I suspected she wasn’t getting as much milk in the evenings, but now it seems she’s not getting enough except for the first morning feed. Her weight has not increased much, and is nearly flat for about 2 months. I don’t have enough milk stored to last me more than a few weeks (I never had this problem with my other two and always had a surplus!). I am trying all the things to increase supply, however I am concerned I will have to supplement with something. Is camel milk the thing that you would use if you have to supplement? The thought of this wrecks me especially since I’ve been giving milk to my older two all along since I’ve always had too much and not enough freezer space.

Megan Bachman replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jodie Meschuk

April 19, 2023 at 12:34 am

raw camel milk can absolutely be a great option as well as homemade formula following the Weston a price model. Also basil and fennel essential oil will absolutely help increase milk production (only use YL) and run generously on the breasts 

• Jodie Meschuk

April 23, 2023 at 3:51 pm

Also, at 8.5 month, baby is starting to eat solids I assume.  A helpful guide is to nurse/provide milk first before solids, and allow to nurse as often as she likes-more nursing does NOT mean she isnt getting what she needs, and is likely a growth or mental leap.  Babies do also plateu in weight especially if theyve started to move (crawl, cruise) so keep that in mind as well.

• Megan Bachman

April 26, 2023 at 9:07 pm

Thanks, Jodie! Baby’s weight was very low and in fact was losing weight, so I needed to act quickly. I think I got my milk back in order, or order enough so that I can pump enough at strategic times to save some for a bottle at night when milk was pretty low or low enough babe would get so frustrated and give up.  I always offer the breast first and nearly consistently she finishes a bottle afterwards. We are definitely in a better spot. I didn’t have fennel on hand, but basil was a positive support. She’s eating solids much better as well which is also helping. I am going to keep monitoring her growth because she was had not even doubled her birth weight. She started off great for several months and I think my milk supply tanked due to work and general family stress and didn’t know it until recently.

• Jodie Meschuk

April 26, 2023 at 10:23 pm

Stress is huge. I would add in Ningxia for you and look at the camel milk to supplement.

• Megan Bachman

May 9, 2023 at 11:10 am

Happy to report milk production has gone up and is at satisfactory levels to help baby grow at a better clip and be satisfied. She gained 12oz in 2 weeks with increased milk and more solid food intake. She just needs to catch up a bit and hoping all can even out. I’m thankful my body responded to the gentle interventions to boost milk back up…plus managing stress much better.