• Help with Natural HOME BIRTH

Posted by Raegan Landwehr on July 30, 2023 at 7:21 pm

I am currently almost 16 weeks pregnant with my second baby. My son just turned a year old so it feels as if I’m doing it all over again very fast! This time around I am doing a whole lot of things differently. I have switched midwives and I’m seeing different ones at a natural birth center. I knew I wanted better this time around and I can confidently say I’m getting just that. With all that being said with my first pregnancy, I ended up being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I failed the first test by only one point. I was 25 at the time, I am actually considered “underweight” have absolutely no family history & had zero symptoms. I did not follow traditional treatment & went on doing what I was doing before I got the diagnosis. Flash forward to delivery my baby was 7lbs 8oz and neither of us had any signs or effects of the gestational diabetes. With all this being said, at the birth center for my current pregnancy they are basically saying their hands are tied and that I must do the glucose test. If I end up failing then I’m required to risk out & deliver at the hospital. I do not want to do that. I want to deliver my baby at home. I have done an A1C blood test & all was normal. I’ve been trying to have a balanced healthy diet thus far. I am stressed of the possible situation to come. Is there any way to either decline the test or make sure I am getting to deliver my baby at home?

Jodie Meschuk replied 8 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jodie Meschuk

August 7, 2023 at 10:11 am

You can definitely decline the glucose test, or ANY test or procedure you are not comfortable with however as a private entity they can also decline to see you.  You can request a A1C test during your first trimester, but since youre past that you can ask for a fasting glucose test to get a baseline, and then perform an at home glucose test.  This may be for as long as a week, depending on what your clinic requires but it doesnt include any gross sugar drinks that will send your system into overdrive.  You test your blood sugar multiple times a day and record results

You can explain to your providers that due to your diet and lifestyle the traditional test is likely to show a false positive again, and also make you sick.  You will need to advocate for yourself but there is no reason that you cannot do the at home test.